LNC Class XXIII Program Year Update
The 55 members of LNC Class XXIII gathered in Raleigh November 3 – 5, 2015, for a two-and-a-half day session focused on Government in North Carolina. Highlights of the session included:
- A tour of the North Carolina Correctional Institution for Women (NCCIW) and a Q&A session with prison leaders, staff, and inmates.
- A reception at the Executive Mansion, with remarks from NC Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Rick Brajer.
- A snapshot of North Carolina’s political landscape from the always engaging John Davis.
- A case study on lobbying, legislation, and issues related to certificate of need requirements.
- The “Legislator for an Hour” simulation on the House floor, with Representative Gale Adcock, former Senator Richards Stevens, and House Principal Clerk Denise Weeks guiding the caucus process and the exercise.
- “Budgetopolis,” an interactive budgeting simulation.
- A welcome from Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane, segments on civics and local government, and presentations from Red Thread partners Girls Scouts NC Coastal Pines and USO of North Carolina.
The Government session was held at the Nature Research Center and at the James B. Hunt Jr. Library. LNC thanks NC State University and all of the other sponsors who make each session and the LNC program possible.
Last month the group came together for the first time at their Orientation session, hosted by Appalachian State University in Boone. Over the course of 3 days participants were treated to Dr. Karl Campbell’s fascinating presentation of 400 years of North Carolina history, learned about the LNC program and the LNC Learning Model, and got to know one another through a variety of exercises facilitated by Dr. Bauback Yeganeh and the LNC team. They were also introduced to the members of their small Learning Teams, with whom they will connect at each session.
The Class XXIII Education session, the final session of 2015, will be held in Greensboro December 1 – 3. We hope local alumni and friends will join us at the session reception at the ACC Hall of Champions on December 1st. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so we know to expect you. Details for the remaining LNC Class XXIII sessions and a roster of participants can be found on the Class XXIII page of the LNC website.