Class 32 (2024-2025)
October 8-10, 2024: Orientation, Boone*
November 12-14, 2024: Government, Raleigh
December 10-12, 2024: Education, Greensboro
January 6-7 or 9-10, 2025: Inclusive Leadership Training, The Triangle (hold both sets of dates)*
February 4-6, 2025: Health and Human Services, Charlotte
March 4-6, 2025: Economic Development, Elizabeth City
April 8-10, 2025: Environment, Asheville
May 6-7, 2025: Planning Meeting/Graduation, Raleigh
*Attendance at all of Orientation and one of the two-day Inclusive Leadership sessions is mandatory
Application window: June 1 – June 24, 2024
General Session Structure for Class 32
- Tuesday, 2 pm – 6 :30 pm
- Wednesday, 8:15 am – 4:30 pm plus Class Dinner
- Thursday, 8:15 am – 2:00 pm
- Participation in all Orientation content is mandatory. Missing any element of Orientation requires withdrawal from the program with no refund.
Program Sessions (November, December, February, March, April)
- Tuesday tour or activity 2:00 – 4:00 pm (optional). Start and end times may vary slightly.
- Tuesday reception 5:30 – 7:00 pm (optional).
- Wednesday morning and afternoon programming and class dinner.
- Thursday morning and afternoon programming, adjourning around 3 pm.
All Wednesday and Thursday elements are required. The LNC attendance policy allows participants to miss a limited number of segments throughout the program year.
Inclusive Leadership Training (January)
The mandatory Inclusive Leadership Training for Class 32 will be conducted in two cohorts on January 6-7 and January 9-10. Members of Class 32 will be assigned to a cohort prior to the October Orientation session. Applicants are asked to protect both sets of dates. Each training will run 8:00 am – 5:30 pm each day.
Planning Meeting and Graduation Ceremony (May)
- Reflections Session: 2:00 – 5:00 pm the afternoon before graduation.
- Required Planning Meeting: 8:00 am – 2:30 pm.
- Graduation Ceremony: 4:00 – 5:30, reception immediately following.
Time Commitment Outside Sessions
Each participant will be assigned to a Learning Team for the program year. Learning Teams schedule 1-hour-long phone calls between each session (monthly from October through May). Calls are optional but encouraged. For some sessions, participants are asked to review materials in advance to enhance the session experience. There are no other requirements outside the scheduled session programming.
Planning Committee Participation for Year 2
Participation in Leadership North Carolina is a two-year commitment. The schedule for the first year is outlined above. Following graduation, each participant is required to serve on a planning committee for one of the five program sessions or play another role in preparing the program for the following class. There is one in-person meeting held the day of graduation. The remainder of the planning, research, and outreach to presenters is done by conference call (approximately one call per month) and email. Planning committee members are expected to attend the session they help plan.